Foot and Ankle Injuries
If you have any of these symptoms, it is important to come in for an appointment:
- Pain that persists for more than 72 hours
- Swelling that persists for more than 24 hours
- Pain which increases with walking or activity
- Swelling at rest or with elevation of the legs
- Any infection
- Blister or wound
- Loss of sensation, whether before or after the injury
Do not make assumptions about the severity of an injury. The symptoms of a broken bone and a sprain are similar. X-ray evaluation (done in our office) can determine the necessary treatment.
Special attention is needed for certain individuals:
- An injury in children near the growth plate (physis) can affect future growth of the child. Furthermore, young children may not adequately acknowledge their injury.
- Older adults are at higher risk because they lose muscle mass and bone strength as they age. They also often have more problems with vision and balance.
Common injuries include:
- Contusion (bruise)
- Dislocation (bone slipped out of place)
- Fracture (broken bone)
- Open wound
Initial treatment is PRICE:
If you suffered an injury of your foot or ankle, call (847) 675-3400 or click here to schedule an appointment. Please notify the secretary of the severity of your injury.
Skokie Foot & Ankle Specialists, Ltd.
9933 Lawler Ave., Suite 315
Skokie, Illinois 60077